Before we begin: this tutorial is for students who do not already have a website. If you do not already have a website you can skip this paragraph. If you already have a website please send me an email or come to Zoom office hours ASAP. Tell me: what your website’s web address or URL is, who is hosting your site (OU? a commercial company like Bluehost?), what you used to build it. We will set up a part of your website or a subdomain as your site for this class.
Ok now we can begin. This assignment has two parts. You need to complete BOTH parts to get credit:
- Set up a domain (web address for your site). We will use OU Create — a program set up by OU so students, faculty, staff can build their own sites!
- Set up a skeleton website using the software WordPress for your blog
To get credit for this assignment you will need (in other words, this is the rubric for grading! — added 9/3):
- a live domain or subdomain I can visit
- submit the URL for your website on Canvas in the Assignment when you’re done (this link takes you to Canvas! — added 9/3/2020)
- if you already have a website prior to this course, you should have a subdomain or a section/menu item specifically for this course set up
- some kind of software or code running your site (WordPress, HTML, or something)
- a title for your site
- a coherent landing page (there does not need to be much content — you can even say “check back soon” or “under construction”; in the tutorial you will choose whether the home/landing page is a regular page or the blog posts)
- a visible menu with at least one item on it (like “Home” for the homepage or “About” for an “about this site” page)
Due 11:59 pm Central on Friday 9/4